The Robins School of Business hosts two signature speaker series designed to bring together students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members for conversations on current business issues.
At the Robins School, business isn’t just a subject. It’s what we live and breathe. Our students have their fingers on the pulse of our constantly changing world, but their foundations are in the broad perspectives of the liberal arts. We're the Robins School of Business, and we're open for business enthusiasts.
We see a fiber that has been produced for 7,000 years that today accounts for 400,000 U.S. jobs and an annual global production of 25 million tons — and that 39 percent of consumers are wearing right now. Other people see a T-shirt.
We see a commodity originating in over 50 countries, with 25 million farmers producing 120 million bags a year that are consumed by 60 percent of the nation, generating $90 billion. Other people see a cup of coffee.
See what students are up to outside the classroom.
Professor Susan Cohen connects her students to local businesses for a first look at entrepreneuring.
How research into the Second Glass Ceiling sparked a national phenomenon.
One of the Robins School of Business's newest professors kicked off the semester with a tasty treat for students.
In the News
Robins School on Twitter
- RT @rvabizsense: UR tackles corporate compassion. https://t.co/592DnioLCy #RVA @urichmond @URNews2Use @UR_RobinsSchool https://t.co/5wtBwms…
- RT @URNews2Use: ✔️ out @urichmond, @UR_RobinsSchool's Frederick Talbott's column: Saving Petersburg https://t.co/YeZZkhevpk via @richmonddo…
- #READ @rvabizsense features our visiting lecturer teaching students empathy and compassion in business https://t.co/2gWvFQxjXC @URNews2Use
- #ICYMI Econ prof George Hoffer weighs in on #Tesla #RVA dealership decision https://t.co/k1Yv6BlC9R @RTDBusiness @URNews2Use
- A special farewell to our exchange students! Thank you for joining us this semester #bonvoyage #RobinsInternational… https://t.co/SfeyDw5OgX
- RT @dbartdamon: Congrats to the 50+ @UR_RobinsSchool students that participated in #pwcchallenge! https://t.co/Y3B3vMEOju
- #ParisFashionWeek, a top finish at a national selling competition, & a day at the movies! Here's the Nov. newsletter https://t.co/EVXiNwHPGQ
- Happy #CyberMonday! Find the best deals & why some companies are doing better than others here: https://t.co/hIGPCb4k6Z via @Forbes
- RT @URNews2Use: Prof. George Hoffer, @UR_RobinsSchool, interviewed for @NBC12 story on @TeslaMotors's fight to open Richmond store https://…
- Enjoy this beautiful #Friday! @urichmond #nofilter https://t.co/89kjyn9HUd
- #TONIGHT: Come hang out at The Cellar to learn about our MBA program! Chat with students and alums about what… https://t.co/OIFheEObjG
- Check out this week's "Decision-Making in Basketball and Business" podcast with Coach Mooney! https://t.co/LAXp3MBPVf @SpiderMBB #Spiders
- Don't forget to vote for the book for the Dean's Book Club this week! The deadline is Friday 📚Stop by the Dean's office for more info
- #REMINDER Join us Wednesday evening for a discussion addressing sexual misconduct and gender issues in the workplace https://t.co/1fF4R5Xgsn
- REMINDER: Founder of Evergreen Enterprises, Ting Xu, will join us for coffee & conversation tomorrow morning at RSB https://t.co/NsrANn7rFh
- RT @URNews2Use: Nov. 15 #RobinsSpeakers guest is Ting Xu, founder of Evergreen Enterprises; event @ 8am @UR_RobinsSchool https://t.co/tgjND…
- Best of luck to our students competing in the #PwCChallenge today! @PwC_LLP https://t.co/RnzvMxdf1p
- Clyde: "If you don't have a strategy to compete to win, and a business model that supports it, you won't succeed." #RobinsSpeakers
- Robins School of Business Holiday Open HouseDec114:00 PM - 7:00 PMDean Nancy A. Bagranoff will host the Faculty & Staff of the Robins School of Business and their guests to an... Continue reading
- MBA Alumni & Student Holiday CelebrationDec156:00 PM - 8:00 PMDean Nancy A. Bagranoff and Associate Dean Randle D. Raggio will host the MBA Alumni and Student Holiday Celebration.... Continue reading
- Robins School of Business Staff Holiday LunchDec1612:00 PM - 2:00 PMDean Nancy A. Bagranoff and the Associate Deans of the Robins School of Business will be hosting the Staff to an... Continue reading
- Demystifying the Richmond Guarantee: Obtaining Funding for Summer Internships and ResearchJan175:00 PM - 6:00 PMWhat is the Richmond Guarantee? How do I access up to $4000 to support my internship or research experience? What do I... Continue reading
- Resume & Cover Letter WorkshopJan185:00 PM - 6:00 PMA resume is important to have on hand for internships, jobs, and a variety of other opportunities. And no, you can't... Continue reading
- Case Interviewing Workshop with Marc CosentinoJan2010:30 AM - 12:30 PMCase interviews are becoming increasingly common for undergraduates applying for jobs and internships, and require... Continue reading
- Train the Trainer Workshop with Marc CosentinoJan201:30 PM - 3:00 PMCase interviews are becoming increasingly common for undergraduates applying for jobs and internships, and require... Continue reading
- Searching for a Federal Job/Internship & Creating a Federal ResumeJan235:00 PM - 6:30 PMThe Office of Alumni and Career Services invites students in all majors and years interested in a career with the... Continue reading
- Internship Search WorkshopJan245:00 PM - 6:00 PMWhy is it so important to have an internship and how do you go about finding one? Participants will learn about the... Continue reading
- Robins Executive Speaker Series: Greg GrilliotJan246:00 PM - 8:00 PMDean Nancy A. Bagranoff and the Robins School of Business are proud to host the fourth event of the 2016-2017... Continue reading
Faculty & Staff Highlights
- Accounting professor awarded grant for study on big data
Ashley Austin, assistant accounting professor, was awarded a $10,000 grant by the Institute of Fraud Prevention for her study "The Impact of Big Data and Data Analytics on Fighting Fraud."
- Amit Eynan receives International Education Award
Professor of management recognized for exemplary acts of internationalization to benefit UR community and those beyond.
- Coughlan appointed to Goodwill's Board of Directors
Assoc. Professor of Management named to Goodwill of Central and Coastal Va.'s Board of Directors.
- Best Paper Award from the Academy of Business Research
Tom Arnold, John Earl, Adam Schwartz & Cassandra Marshall received a Best Paper Award from the Academy of Business Research for their paper, “Using “Equivalent Tax Rates’ to Determine Tax Efficient Retirement Investment and Withdrawal.”
- Pat Macaulay receives outstanding administrative staff award Macaulay has been with UR for 34 years!
- Thompson named assistant dean
Laura Thompson has been named assistant dean of undergraduate student services at the Robins School.
- Piazza named Executive Education director
Bob Piazza has been named director of Executive Education at the Robins School.
- Monks named associate dean
Jim Monks has been named associate dean of undergraduate business programs at the Robins School.
- Fishe awarded Quality of Research Discovery Award
Pat Fishe, professor of finance, won the Board of the European Association of Agricultural Economists Quality of Reaserch Discovery Award for his paper "Hedging and speculative trading in agricultural futures markets"
- Cohen receives Kauffman Foundation Grant
Susan Cohen, assistant professor of management, received a grant from the Kauffman Foundation for her research on accelerators.