Richmond Home

Course Approval FAQs

Where can I obtain a Study Abroad Course Approval Form?
How do I complete the form?

Fill out the top portion of the form. Fill out the bottom section of the form marked "Course information section to be complete by the student." List the subject, number, and title as listed in the catalog from the abroad school you will be attending. Do not write in the section marked "This section is completed by Dr. Cossé." Detailed instructions can be found on page 2 of the form.

Who signs the bottom of the form?

The applicant and Dr. Thomas Cossé will sign and date the bottom of the course approval form for business and economics courses.

Do I need to turn in anything in addition to the form?

Yes. For each course you list on your form, attach a course description. In most cases, course descriptions can be downloaded from the abroad school's website. For each course description, write beside its title the University of Richmond course equivalent for which you would like to receive transfer credit.

What if I can't find a course description for a particular course on the abroad school website?

Contact the OIE advisor for the country/region in which your abroad school is located. If he/she is unable to help you locate a course description, contact Fae Bell ( in the Business School.

How do I obtain approvals for the courses I list on my form?

Course approvals for business and economics courses must be obtained from Dr. Thomas Cossé. Approvals for courses in other fields should be listed on a separate form for non-business courses and approvals are obtained from the appropriate chair in the School of Arts and Sciences or the Jepson School of Leadership Studies.

How many courses can I enroll in while studying abroad?

Students must enroll in the equivalent of at least 3.5 units of coursework, but no more than the equivalent of 5.5 units. See OIE website pages for the host school to get credit conversions.

What grade must I obtain in order to receive transfer credit?

A grade equivalent to "C" or better is required for a course to be accepted for transfer. Note that only the units, not the grade, are transferred. See OIE website pages for the host school to get grade conversions.

How many business courses can I take while studying abroad?

You are not limited to the number of business courses you can take while abroad as long as you do not exceed the 5.5 unit maximum.

Are there any restrictions on business courses I can take abroad?


  1. You may take no more than two courses in the same field/subject area. For example, you may take no more than two marketing courses or no more than two finance courses while studying abroad.

  2. You may take no more than two Robins School Core Courses.

  3. You may not take BUAD 497 Strategic Management or IBUS 411 International Business Strategy while abroad.

Additional restrictions apply to students majoring in Accounting.

What are the Robins School core courses?

BUAD 301 Business Statistics II, BUAD 391 Essentials of Information Technology/MGMT 320 Business Information Systems, BUAD 392 Ethical, Social and Legal Responsibilities of Business, FIN 360 Principles of Finance, MKT 320 Principles of Marketing, MGMT 330 Organizational Behavior, MGMT 340 Operations Management.

What are the course restrictions for accounting courses abroad?

Students majoring in Accounting will not receive abroad transfer credit for the following:  ACCT 301 Intermediate Financial Accounting 1, ACCT 302 Intermediate Financial Accounting 2, ACCT 305 Cost and Managerial Accounting, ACCT 307 Accounting Information Systems, ACCT 311 Advanced Accounting, ACCT 312 Federal Taxation, and ACCT 317 Auditing.

Are there additional course requirements I should be aware of for study abroad?

Yes. While studying abroad, Robins School students must complete a course that focuses on the culture/society, history, political system, or economy of the host school's country or region. Additionally, Robins School students studying in a country where the native language is not English are required to complete the host-school's pre-semester language course, a regular semester language course, or a course in any subject in which the language of instruction is the local language — whether offered for credit or not.

Are courses taught in English?

Most partner schools offer courses in English. Consult with Dr. Cossé for exceptions.

Is it okay to take a course abroad in a field for which there is no equivalent at UofR?

Yes. You should include a note when you turn in your form stating you do not wish to have the course transfer as a UR course. You will receive unit credit if you receive a C or better in the course.

Is it okay to take a course abroad for which there is no equivalent at UR?

Yes. For example if a partner school offers a marketing course such as B to B Marketing which is not taught by the Robins School, you can still receive elective credit for the course. Courses will be coded using a 900 numbering scheme. For instance if B to B Marketing is equivalent to a 300 level marketing elective it will be coded 903.

Where do I send my completed Study Abroad Course Approval Form?

Completed forms along with course descriptions should be turned in to Ms. Fae Bell, International Business Program Coordinator, Robins School Room Q291B.

How will I know if my courses have been approved?

You will receive an email notifying you that your form has been completed by Dr. Cossé and is available for pick up. You will pick up a copy of your form from the Center for International Business Programs in Q291 and the original will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.

What if, after arriving at my study abroad school, I am unable to register for classes for which I have received pre-approval?
It is possible that once you arrive overseas and begin the registration process for your classes, a particular course for which you have received pre-approval may not be offered for the semester you will be studying abroad, or you may change your mind and decide you would rather take a different class. You should email Dr. Thomas Cossé directly ( and provide him with the course subject, number and title, and a description of the course. Dr. Cossé will respond via email to let you know how the course will transfer to Richmond.  You should retain copies of all email correspondence.
Once I return home, how do I ensure that the courses I took abroad transferred to University of Richmond correctly?

All courses for which you received pre-approval will appear on your transcript once your transcript from your study abroad school has been received by the Registrar's Office at UR. You should check Banner Web periodically for your transfer credits. Any courses approved after you left Richmond, will require your follow up with Dr. Cossé after your transcript has arrived at the UR Registrar's Office to ensure proper credit is received.

International Business

Robins School of Business
102 UR Drive
University of Richmond, VA 23173

Associate Dean for International Programs
Thomas Cossé, Ph.D.
Queally 291A
(804) 289-8572

International Business & Residency Coordinator
Fae Bell
Queally 291B
(804) 287-6651

Administrative Assistant, International Business Programs
Kim Duren
Queally 291
(804) 289-8264